“We took the brown sugar biscuits from the aga and poured a jug of cold milk. Sugared strawberries and blueberries filled the blue china bowls. Linen bunting fluttered at the window and all the silverware sparkled once more.” Anon.
There are few sweeter comforts to sit down to than a cup of tea and a good biscuit. These chewy oatmeal and sultana cookies are a little bit special in our book. They’re a recent trial, entirely gluten free, and yet taste every bit as good as their cousins which in our household means they’ve earned a hallowed place as a cupboard staple.
We’ve also adapted them so they can be made entirely vegan. Use a dairy free butter and in place of the egg add 15g more dairy free butter and 2 tablespoons of water.
*Recipe adapted from Humphrey Munson
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- stand mixer (we use a KitchenAid) or hand mixer
- baking sheet, lined
chewy oatmeal and sultana cookies – vegan friendly: makes 20 – 24
- 85g lightly salted butter (vegan option: 100g dairy free butter)
- 75g caster sugar
- 50g golden caster sugar
- 25g dark brown sugar
- 1 egg (vegan option – 2 tablespoons water)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 75g almond flour
- 1/2tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 110g oats
- 75g sultanas
Preheat the oven to 180C/160C fan oven. Grease and line your baking sheet with baking paper
- Using a stand or hand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Next beat in the egg and vanilla essence.
- In a separate bowl mix together the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt, and then gradually beat this into the wet mixture.
- Finally, stir in the oats and sultanas.
- Use a teaspoon to dollop small balls of the mixture onto un-greased non-stick cookie sheets – expect to get around six or seven on each sheet. Allow plenty of room between each (6cm or so at least) as they will spread.
- Bake for 8 minutes in the preheated oven, or until golden brown. If you like them crispy, leave them in a little longer. If you like them softer, take them out sooner.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.