I love ribs, whether that be with a sticky sweet sauce or a hot dry rub, they have to be one of my favourite foods. So when I was asked by a friend to throw something together for a bbq the other day, I knew exactly what I would go for – sticky sweet maple glazed spare ribs and melt in your mouth beef short ribs.
I have to say the beef short ribs glazed in a simple homemade bbq sauce were the star of the show; the first mouthful was greeted with a “wow” and they had completely disappeared within mere moments. Even the bones soon disappeared – munched on by a couple of very happy dogs!
The spare ribs, recipe adapted from Grillstock: The BBQ Book, also went down a treat; they had a lovely bite and texture and clean bones were soon stacking up – no need for napkins as everyone was more than happy to lick their fingers clean.
I didn’t have the camera to hand this time so unfortunately only managed to get a few iPhone snaps.
The full beef short ribs recipe is here.
- 1 rack of spare ribs, cut and trimmed to leave a uniform rack of ribs
- splash of whatever beer you have to hand
- favourite dry rub – I used equal amounts smoked paprika, garlic powder, brown sugar, salt and pepper
for the glaze:
- 125ml dark brown sugar
- 125ml Jack Daniel’s Tennessee Honey
- 125ml soy sauce
- 125ml ketchup
- 125ml maple syrup
- 75ml honey
- 1 tbsp smokey chipotle dry rub
- 1 tbsp cyder vinegar